Tuesday, 22 September 2009

A Sunday Afternoon Stroll

If I hadn't spent the past two days obsessing over the failings of my French accent, I would probably have been a little quicker to write this post about what I actually did on Sunday afternoon as I was conversing in poor French with my friend.

We went for a walk in the Seine-et-Marne département, which is on the south-east side of Paris. The official website for the department publishes guides for walks in the area ranging from the short to the very long. We decided to go for Number 18, starting at Noisy-Champs station on the RER line A.

Bits of the walk were beautiful, like these paths in the forest, or the châteaux that you see on the way. Other bits, particularly through the streets of local towns, were a little bit dull.




And then there were the important sights that we saw on the way, like this reservoir:


The plaque explains how the architecture is “a powerful urban symbol” that “plays a linking role between the vegetable (the Park de Noisiel), the water (the river Marne) and the working class town.” Apparently there are architectural references to the tower of Babel.



I thought it was downright hideous.

Nevertheless, it was nice to get out in the open air, do something healthy and spend time with my friend, so all in all, it was a good afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment