Sunday, 11 October 2009

In Monet's Garden

Mum has been here visiting me this weekend and we started off Saturday with a visit to the art gallery at L'Orangerie. The gallery is at the opposite end of the Jardin des Tuileries from the Louvre and it's exactly the kind of art gallery I like. The most unusual part of it is the exhibition of Monet's paintings of the water lily pond, done on huge canvases and displayed in oval rooms to make you feel as if you are in the middle of the garden yourself. Monet painted the pictures to be exhibited in this way, and the layout of the gallery itself is based on his designs. I don't think I've ever looked at Impressionist paintings that big before, and what's impressive is the way that the pictures look so good from far away and just as good close up, maintaining the illusion even when you can see every brush stroke. These were some of my favourites:



1 comment: