Tuesday, 17 November 2009

Culinary Delights

My brother and his girlfriend nipped over from England on the Eurostar for a long weekend this weekend. Contrary to the impression you may get from this blog from time to time, I do manage to hold down a full time job in between visiting people and receiving guests, and I even had to work on Saturday this weekend while they went on an edifying visit to the Musée d'Orsay (where my brother was apparently particularly taken by the painting of a man in pink armour surrounded by an adoring throng of naked women) so the highlight of the day for me was definitely dinner in the Latin Quarter. We went to one of the places I had been with J a couple of weeks before and I really wish I could remember the name of it, because among the scores of places in the area offering the same tourist menu for the same price, this one actually stands out because the food is good. The next day we went to the place next door and I wish I could remember the name of that too, because the food was bad. So bad, in fact, that we were all convinced that my brother's rabbit must be chicken because the meat was so pale and flavourless. The service was pretty much on the same level as the food, so the first place was definitely a gem and I will find the name of it for you all next time I go to the Latin Quarter!

Our other best meal that weekend didn't come from a restaurant but from the Sunday market. We wandered around the whole square first of all, but eventually homed in on the cheese stall, where we got some delicious, creamy Beaufort and a gorgeous, not-too-goaty Tome de Chevre, then the meat stall, where we got some Aosta ham and Rosette sausage. Combined with fresh baguette and tomatoes in Italian olive oil and followed by Lavazza coffee and Colin the Caterpillar cake from Marks and Spencers, they made an international gourmet feast with the best gastronomic delights from three European countries. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment