Saturday, 21 November 2009

La Tour Eiffel

I have a confession to make. A confession that will have me struck of the list of the culturally and intellectually assimilated in France and probably barred forever from the society of international sophisticates and banished to the ranks of the eternal tourists. A confession that nevertheless I am going to make.

I like the Eiffel Tower.

I still get excited when I fly over Paris and see it standing there in all its glory. I like catching glimpses of it when it appears behind Haussmann's graceful buildings. I like to look at it and admire the way it curves elegantly up into the sky. I love it when it sparkles at night and I don't care if it looks like a Christmas tree. I just like it.

Last weekend I went up the tower for the first time in about 14 years and I was not disappointed. From afar, from nearby, from the first floor, from the second floor and from the top, the Eiffel Tower is cool.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Eiffel Tower! I thought that everyone did! Truly, I think it's quite beautiful. Anyway, I'm just back in New Zealand after a year in France - and feeling very unsettled - and just stumbled on to your blog. I look forward to having a good read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison! Hope you like my blog!

    ReplyDelete