Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Wandering in Paris 2

One of the major disadvantages of having a job that allows one to live in Paris is that one is often obliged to go to work when one would rather be strolling in the streets of the capital, taking photographs and indulging in philosophical thought. Yesterday, however, I took advantage of the fact that I was on holiday to head into the city centre with the full intention of doing just that. It was a warm day and I was able to wander around for several hours without freezing to death or being obliged to resort to sheltering in an overpriced cafe. I wouldn't say I got as far as thinking genuinely philosophical thoughts, but here are some of the photographs.

The first thing I discovered was this building, which is just behind the Louvre. The part on the left is the town hall of the 1st arrondisement, which is separated by the bell tower from the church of Saint Germain l'Auxerrois.

Then I walked along the river and took this picture of the Pont Neuf and the Ile de la Cité:


I crossed over to the Latin Quarter, then walked up the river and over to the Ile Saint Louis. This picture is looking north from the island, where the sun was shining on the buildings but the sky behind was darkening and it was about to rain:


Back on the Right Bank, I walked along the river and past the Eglise St-Gervais:



I finished by taking a few pictures of the Tour Saint-Jacques on the Rue de Rivoli, which is one of my all-time favourite Parisian landmarks:


No comments:

Post a Comment