Monday, 19 April 2010

Why French Trade Unions are Like a Volcano

Worldwide, transport is in a state of chaos as the result of an unavoidable natural phenomen. People are stranded on the wrong continent. Food supplies may be affected. Injured soldiers cannot be brought home for treatment. Heads of state cannot get to Poland for the President's funeral and Angela Merkel is travelling across Europe by bus.

Spain is offering its airports and railways as an alternative route home for stranded travellers in Asia and the Americas. The Royal Navy is about to start a "Dunkirk - style relief mission" to repatriate Britons from continental Europe. Eurolines is offering extra services and international ferries are filled to capacity.

In France, the SNCF railway workers are on strike.

6 comments:

  1. Let's face it - striking is the national sport of the French. It just seems to be accepted as part of the territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, tell me about it! British Boy came over for my birthday only to be stuck here for a few extra days. We saw a flight to rebook him on only to check the trains and find there were no trains because of the strike. I called SNCF to see whether there'd be any the following day, they didn't know. Ahhh, life in France!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I'd be back there like a shot if I could. I've been back in NZ for 6 months after a year in France on a Ministry of Ed award. I am VERY unsettled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Alison, but that doesn't mean it makes any more sense! French transport workers have some of the best conditions in the whole country and they act like spoilt children, so why does everybody else put up with it?

    In lots of ways I think I'm pretty well adapted to French culture, but this is one thing I'll never get my head around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiwi, enjoy your extra time with British Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the guys from my office was stuck abroad with his wife and two young children. He had to spend a small fortune on the next available ferry crossing, leaving him a several day wait to get home. He then had to hire a ridiculously expensive car and drive for hours and hours across France to get there. He missed four days of work, got back on Fri. Asked him what the worst part of the whole thing was.... He said having to spend an extra day in Disneyland!!!!

    ReplyDelete