Sunday, 16 May 2010

Spain Part 3 - Flamenco!

Three weeks ago, I went on a wonderful trip to Spain. I met interesting people, saw some amazing sights and generally had a really great time. But now, I just don't have the inspiration to write about it. I think I'm suffering from blogger's block. At the same time, though, I want this blog to be an accurate record of the things that I get up to, partly for you, my dear readers, and partly because when I'm an old lady sitting in my armchair without enough money to pay the heating bills because I spent my youth paying pension payments in far too many countries with far too much bureaucracy to allow me to ever get any money back, I want to remember all the good bits. It would therefore be a bit unfortunate if I only wrote blog posts about having nothing better to do than write boring blog posts. And so I am also suffering from blogger's guilt.

The solution? The photo post: a quick summary of my doings, with lots of pictures to tell the real story. Please excuse the absence of unusual vocabulary, interesting sentence structures and original ideas.

On the Saturday of my trip to Spain, R. and I went to Seville, where R's boyfriend lives. I was lucky enough to be there the week of the Feria de Sevilla, a week-long celebration of Andalucian culture, by the Spanish, for the Spanish. Although hundreds of thousands of people attend the event, it isn't at all a tourist festival. Nearly everybody who goes is Spanish and most of them are from Andalucia.

Inside the private caseta

On the main festival site, there are thousands of marquees, or casetas, where you can buy drinks and food and there is music and flamenco dancing. There are public casetas, where anybody can go, and private ones , where you have to be a member of an organisation or know somebody who has contacts with the sponsors to go. We started off in a private caseta that a friend of R's boyfriend got us into, then moved on to the public ones later.




All the Andalucian people who go wear traditional dress and one of the most fun things about the festival is just looking at all the outfits. The music is mostly Sevillanas, which are traditional dances from the area, so you have to know at least some of the steps to join in. R. gave me a quick lesson before we left, but I couldn't quite do it fast enough to really join in. The traditional thing to drink is sherry with lemonade, which quenches your thirst all through the evening.

View from the Big Wheel

As well as the casetas, there is a funfair on the Feria site, and we couldn't resist going on some rides at the end of the evening. By that point, I was very glad I wasn't wearing a flamenco dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment