Monday, 12 November 2012

Taxing the Rich

When President Hollande announced that he would be introducing a 75% tax rate for France's highest earners, I applauded the sentiment but doubted it was practicable. But now, the French government is proposing another tax on the rich: the rich, chocolatey goodness of Nutella or, more precisely, the palm oil it contains.


This time the target is not disparity of income, but rates of heart disease, with an impact on environmental damage in South East Asia thrown in for good measure, as this article in today's Guardian explains. But, as one commentator points out, the French have been consuming Nutella for decades now, while obesity has only become a concern over the past few years and rates of heart disease remain relatively low. Which is all the more astonishing when you consider that in some parts of the country (Bretagne, I'm looking at you) they  know that Nutella's sticky sweetness is best balanced out by spreading it over a nice thick layer of salted butter.

How long do I have to stay here before l'exception française applies to me too?

4 comments:

  1. I read the news in the French newspaper and it made me laugh! French and their Nutella... they are addicted to it! Strangely enough, I'm not. I find it too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that's why you had to emigrate, Zhu ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I'm not a chocolate eater, I never look for it or crave it...EXCEPT for Nutella. Nutella is the only chocolate product that makes my mouth water. What is it about this stuff??

    Side note: Do you like how dramatic their commercials are? One of them actually made me cry...I was also PMSing, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it really is that taxable palm oil that gives it its craving-inducing gooeyness.

    Must go and Google some of their ads!

    ReplyDelete