Monday, 4 March 2013

Much Ado About A Great Show

One of the great things about living in Paris is the incredible choice of cultural activities that you have available right on your doorstep. But one of the hard things about living in a city where a search for event tickets on www.billetreduc.com throws up over 7000 options is deciding which one to choose. As a result, it's easy to find yourself paralysed by too much choice and to end up doing nothing.

Which is why I was really happy when one of my friends told us that she was appearing in an English-language production of Much Ado About Nothing, because there was no way I was going to miss it.

The show is performed by a troupe of 5 actors and a musician, and clever use of costumes and minimalist scenery allow them to take on different roles and make clever use of the intimate space. I wasn't familiar with this particular play, but the strong characterisation and humorous interpretation of the roles made it easy to become quickly engrossed in the story. French translations were shown on a screen but Understanding Frenchman, who had read the synopsis in the programme beforehand, found it was quite easy to follow the story without them.

Watching this show left me with a big smile on my face, just as comedy is intended to do, and I would recommend it to anyone who's interested in seeing a bit of anglophone culture in Paris!

Much Ado About Nothing (Beaucoup de bruit pour rien) is on at the Theatre de Nesle until the end of March.

3 comments:

  1. The perks of living in a big city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7000 options? Wow. That explains why I can never make up my mind about which shows to see!

    Thanks for posting about "Much Ado". I thought about going to it when I saw it mentioned on Twitter or somewhere else and then forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Kay, if you haven't been yet, you should definitely go! Just one word of warning - the theatre wasn't the warmest, so wear something cosy!

    ReplyDelete