Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Blonde Highlights and Stolen Lorries

In an attempt to prove my theory about French style vs British style, I found myself walking around town yesterday conducting a mental survey of hairstyles. Realising that this was probably making my company a bit tedious, as half my brain was focused on trying to work out just what degree of straightness and which shades of blonde were natural, and wanting another perspective on the matter, I decided to share my thoughts with the friend (French and male) I was with.

"Of course," he said, after listening to my carefully detailed explanation of how French girls tend to go for more natural-looking styles (the "looking" part is important!) that make the most of their real selves, while British girls often put a lot of effort into changing their appearance to conform to a particular look that has been deemed stylish by someone else.

He continued bluntly, "In France, the aim is to look different from everybody else. In Britain, all the girls look the same. They all dye their hair blonde, et elles sont repaintes comme des camions volés."

If  "apart from you and all your lovely friends (and of course, very stylish blog readers)" hadn't been so clearly implied in what he said I might have been tempted to hit him. Instead, theory confirmed, I just laughed and took note of the funny new French expression

8 comments:

  1. As an American I'm not sure I'll give you the answer you'd like, since what I've noticed with French women's hair is not all that positive. Compared to American women's heads, I notice a surprising amount of greasy, unwashed, unbrushed, slept-upon-for-days hair in my colleagues and people in town. Am I alone in this observation? Am I being too hard on them? I don't know... but I certainly wouldn't leave the house with a head of hair like many of these women's.

    So maybe it's not all good news in the French hair department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think you're right - there definitely are quite a few cases of the messy bed-hair style slipping into just messy bed hair. And then there are those middle-aged women who dye their hair in outlandish shades of orange or purple who don't exactly fall into the "natural looking" category ...

      Delete
  2. I love that expression! I haven't heard it in a while.

    When I was a teen in France, we use a lot of henné (messy, messy, messy!) and it was trendy to have reddish hair. We succeeded with more or less success.

    French do like natural hair-do. Blow-drying (un "brushing" in "French") is not that common and certainly not something women feel like doing every morning before going to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along with red wine and long holidays, this s a French habit I'm happy to adopt!

      Delete
  3. I don't know about France, but it's certainly the same here in Italy. One thing I've noticed when going back to the UK is how many platinum blondes there are, you'd never get the Italians dying their hair such an unnatural colour (yes, also partly because they'd never be able to pull it off compared to us pale Brits). I dye my hair blonde, not *too* much lighter than my natural hair colour, and definitely nothing like what I used to have before moving out here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my Italian friends told me I was blonde once. By British standards, my hair is quite dark brown! I think Italian women have lovely hair - they seem to be able to keep it long and glossy until much older than we do. But as you say, real (or fake-real!) blonde in Italy is quite unusual and definitely not in the identikit category!

      Delete
  4. I think I need to take style notes on my next trip to Paris. I've got the natural hair thing down (have never dyed it), but I want to master that whole looking-polished-every-day-by-mixing-and-matching-15-core-items-in-my-wardrobe thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just say you have the best blogger name ever!? I've just had a quick glance at your blog and I'm looking forward to digging in deeper later!

      Delete