Friday, 25 October 2013

The Bright Side of Living in Paris

Yesterday afternoon I was about to make my way home when I realised the sun was shining, and the day was relatively young, and suddenly I was struck by the desire to go wandering in Paris. And so I did.

It was the kind of afternoon I dreamed of when I coined the title for this blog: walking around with my camera in my hands, with no greater aim than to experience the sights and sounds of the city and take lots of interesting photographs.
 
I took the metro up to Montmartre and, carefully avoiding the tourist hoardes in front of the basilica, made my way up the side of the hill and round to the little park at the back. It never ceases to amaze me how quiet Montmartre is once you get about 100m away from the Sacre Coeur and the Place du Tertre, and the north side of the Butte is one of my favourite parts of Paris. But yesterday I was in for an extra-special treat.


You know how the other day I was complaining about the lack of autumn colours in Paris? Well the trees may be disappointingly brown, but on the rue St Vincent, just down the hill from the Vignoble de Montmartre, I came across this beautiful wall of vines. I spent a good fifteen or twenty minutes taking photographs of it in all its glory.








Perhaps even better than that, though, were the nice people I met along the way. One man stopped to discuss the beauty of the leaves, commenting that only a little more sunlight was needed to bring out the colours to absolute perfection, and two others stopped their cars in the street to avoid driving into my photographs. Sometimes Amelie Poulain's Paris really does come to life.

1 comment:

  1. I like the last pic with the cobblestones. Montmartre can be a lovely place to hang out if it's not too busy (and if you avoid the tourist traps, as a wise local).

    ReplyDelete