Tuesday, 17 February 2015

My Bucket List and Anti-Bucket List

Holly over at Full of Beans and Sausages has inspired me to write about my anti-bucket list, the things that I will never do before I die. However, because I don't think I've ever published my non-anti-bucket list, I've decided to be a bit sneaky and start with that, so you'll have to wait until next time for the things I will never do!

My Bucket List

Travel to South America: There are so many reasons why South America is top of my travel wish-list at the moment. I would love to see the Amazon rainforest. And the Iguaçu Falls. Not to mention all those amazing mountains. I'm pretty sure I could pick up Spanish and Portuguese, and I love the idea of visiting countries which are so far away and foreign and yet being able to speak the local language. 

Learn a Hard Language: the last language I really learned (to the point of fluency) was Italian, and since then I've picked up a bit of Spanish. I'm really happy to know these two languages, but once you can speak one Romance language fluently, the others come so easily that it hardly feels like learning a new language at all. I would be terrible at Mandarin, because I'm good at grammar and vocabulary but not so much with picking up the sounds of a new language. I quite like the idea of Arabic (although that has hard sounds too!) because the writing looks so beautiful. Ideally, my new language would be spoken in a country I'd be likely to visit multiple times and use often. Unfortunately, from that point of view, it looks as if Portuguese will probably be next!

Have a Piece of Writing Published: Writing is one of my favourite things to do. When I was little, I wrote endless stories and poems, and I took a creative writing course as part of my degree and even won a prize for it. Words, grammar and finding the perfect way to express an idea make me deeply happy. Unfortunately, they say that everyone has one novel in them, but if that's the case, mine must be very deeply buried inside, because I have all the language I need to write it but no idea of what the plot could be. Maybe I'll have to go back to poetry, or just be content with my blog until inspiration strikes.

Volunteer: I haven't volunteered for any kind of charity work since I had my lectrice job and had plenty of free hours in my week. Living in Paris makes me so aware, on a daily basis, of how vast the gap between the least and most privileged in society is, and how lucky I am to be somewhere in the middle of all that, so I am currently looking for the best way to use my skills and give a little bit back.

Travel in Style on a Long-Distance Train: I've spent many a night squashed in a swaying, rattling couchette, and even enjoyed the relative luxury of a proper berth on the London-Edinburgh Caledonian Sleeper once, but my ambitions are less paper-sheets-and -be-happy-they-give-you-a-free-bottle-of-water and more Murder on the Orient Express without the murders. I had better start saving now!

5 comments:

  1. Those all sound like great ideas, nice to see a list that isn't just filled with the most glamorous places and activities conceivable.

    I'm jealous of all your languages, I find it easy enough to recognise bits of Romance vocabulary or whatever, but never really stick to it to go further. Trying with Luxembourgish right now, which is hard because there's not much out there to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous that you have such a good reason to learn a really random language that hardly anybody speaks! I can imagine that finding resources would be hard though - even for quite "mainstream" languages, so much of what's out there is really not that good.

      Delete
  2. As you know, we were in Puerto Iguazu juste a few weeks ago ;-) It's an awesome place, for sure!

    You don't have to write a novel if this is not your cup of tea. Great writing comes in many forms, including articles, poetry, commentary, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - your pictures reminded me just how much I want to go!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you - once you know one of those languages the others come easily enough, even without formal training. Arabic would be a worthy challenge and the letters are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete