Saturday, 16 May 2015

How Living Abroad Can Make You Passionate About Politics






I say "for anyone who doesn't know" because in France, the election was widely reported and discussed. It felt quite strange seeing my country's politics as headline news on Le journal de 20h.

The main reason for this is that the Conservative party, who won a surprise majority, has promised an in/out referendum on membership of the European Union. Meanwhile Scotland, which is largely pro-Europe, having rejected independence from the UK in a referendum last year, voted massively in favour of the Scottish National Party; hence all the yellow on Maggie's head.The SNP leader has already made it clear that a UK exit from the EU would be considered as a reasonable justification for a second referendum.

All of this made me think not just about my own political opinions, but about the way that they have grown so much stronger over the past ten years or so. I suspect that this has something to do with getting older and more educated about it all, but I wonder if it isn't also caused by spending so many years living in other countries.

When you first move abroad, particularly to a country with high political engagement like France, answering questions about your country's politics can be overwhelming. You go from being an individual with your own opinions to someone who is expected to explain in a few sentences an entire country's perspective, even if you happen to disagree with the majority of your compatriots. And people are not always terribly sensitive to the fact that when you are the only foreigner at a dinner party surrounded by French people who don't understand why the UK might have a different point of view on the Schengen agreement, the Euro or the Common Agricultural Policy, all that intensive questioning can feel quite threatening. (My American friends who were here during the Iraq war had an even tougher time!)

Over time, I've got better at handling those situations. It's partly because I've educated myself about the issues and I know my own standpoints better. It's partly because since the economic crisis, it's a bit more obvious to people why Britain might not have wanted to be part of the Eurozone. It's partly because I speak better French. And it's also because I understand the French perspective better, so I can explain both more clearly and more diplomatically why some British people hold different opinions, without necessarily saying that either is right or wrong.

I believe without a shadow of a doubt that this double understanding, with the ability to comprehend different viewpoints, as well as being able to make honest comparisons between countries, is one of the most valuable things that you can learn from living abroad. It takes a long time though, and it's hard work.

What do you all think? Has living in another country made you more politically engaged? How do you handle those difficult questions?

3 comments:

  1. I'm the exact opposite. I was really into politics in France, French politics of course but also EU issues. And Canada killed me interest in politics. It's hard to be passionate about politics here because Canadians tends to have very balanced opinions (I'd say that most Canadians are social conservative, if that makes any sense) and the federal/provincial/municipal fragmentation makes it hard to see who does what and what truly matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm less interested as well. Can't vote in NZ, can't vote in Britain, can't vote in Belgium, couldn't vote in France, so what's the point...? I did bother to vote in the municipal elections in France last time, but I don't think I'd bother (if I'm even eligible) here since I have no clue about Belgian politics other than the French/Flemish divide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's just me, then! Being able to vote definitely makes a difference - I felt really left out at the last presidential election!

    ReplyDelete