Monday, 19 October 2015

Give Me A Pause

For years now (if not decades), English-language slogans have been a common feature of advertising in France. I've always found it a bit weird, but I guess it's a similar phenomenon to listening to music where you don't understand the lyrics - the style is more important than the substance.

However, French law decrees that if an advert contains foreign language content, it must be translated. Often it's fun to see how much of the original meaning is kept, or lost - it makes you realise how much advertising contains untranslatable wordplay.

In the case of this advert, however, it was the irony of the translation that made me laugh:


Translation: Un break, un Kitkat


As an example of the translation being even more redundant than the English-language slogan, ça prend vraiment le biscuit.* **



*As no French person said, ever.
** I am quite proud of my bad pun though.

1 comment:

  1. WTF?!

    In Quebec you get really weird translations sometime. I mean, I agree, it's stupid to use English for slogan and taglines in a French-speaking country (and it's even worse in France when they are read aloud with a thick French accent). But in Quebec, did they really have to translate "Pulp Fiction" by "Fiction pulpeuse"???

    ReplyDelete