Saturday, 5 November 2016

Recently we have mostly been ...

Charming grandparents (SCB): my parents came to visit last week, followed in close succession (as in, four hours to change the beds and do the hoovering) by my in-laws. SCB has been enjoying lots of attention and cuddles and I suspect is feeling quite disappointed now everybody is gone and she's stuck with me all day.

Administering Doliprane (Me): SCB has also been getting majorly into teething over the past week, although we have yet to see a tooth. Cue interrupted sleep and lots of crying. At one point, our upstairs neighbour knocked on the door because she'd heard all the screaming and wanted to check if I needed a hand, and I had explain that my parents were here but even with three supposedly competent adults, we couldn't calm the poor baby down. She reappeared an hour or so later with a plate of American desserts (they are from the US) to keep us going, so I need to invite her back at some point for cuddles with a hopefully calmer baby! It took a day or so for us to work out that the screaming was almost entirely teeth-related and give in to administering regular doses of the sticky pink syrup. I don't particularly like giving SCB lots of medicine but whoever coined the phrase "mother nature knows best" clearly wasn't thinking about how humans acquire their first teeth.

Bedroom hopping (but not in that sense) (all 3 of us): the reason UFM's parents came to visit was to help us decorate what will eventually be our bedroom, which when we moved in was entirely covered in old-lady wallpaper.

Yes, even the undersides of the shelves in the cupboard.

New paintwork
The new colour was supposed to be cream, but as the paint was bought by UFM and his dad, and my father-in-law is colour blind and UFM didn't realise that the colour would come out much stronger on 4 walls than on the sample sheet, it's actually pale grey, so what you can see in the second photo is my attempts to find a new colour scheme. The logistics of having various people sleeping the the right beds and working around the decorating meant that we ended up sleeping in all 3 of the bedrooms in the flat, including the one where chunks of paint have been falling off the ceiling ever since the flood, but we're back to normal now.

Admiring the autumn colours: all four grandparents needed to be introduced to the walks in our new area. There have been some lovely sunny days and the leaves this year have been beautiful, so it was nice being out and about.

Admin, admin, admin: between the baby, the move, the flood and our endlessly-incompetent bank, we seem to have endless paperwork to do, and now that all the visitors have gone, there's no excuse for not tackling it. Which is why I'm sitting here blogging, of course.

5 comments:

  1. Ahh - what a great neighbour you have! I hope I cope with a newborn - the reality of it all is starting to settle in now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of coping is accepting that it's normal to feel that you're not coping some of the time! I don't mean struggling on for days and weeks if you are really miserable, of course, but just knowing that there will definitely be times when it will be hard, and it's ok not to be perfect. Also, accepting that babies do cry - I think the average is something like 2 hours per day, which can feel like forever when it's happening, but is actually not that much in the grand scheme of things!

      Delete
  2. For a teething baby, I found Camilia works well. Yep, it's homeopathy, so ignore me if you file it under "crazy things French love" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law recommended the same thing. I'm not really a believer in homeopathy, but I am prepared to try anything that might work!

      Delete
  3. I can't even imagine renovating with a baby around! Where do you find the energy? Same for all that admin... at some point we have to take the baby up to Paris to declare his birth at the US embassy. I can tell you THAT's not happening anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete