Saturday, 14 January 2017

Survival

Just over a week ago, I blogged about how I hoped the beginning of 2017 might present us with some enjoyable survival challenges.

Hollow laugh.

The past week has definitely been a challenge. I think we've survived OK. But it certainly wasn't enjoyable.

On the Friday SCB caught her first stomach bug from one of the other children the nanny looks after and began the day by being sick all over both of us, and the sofa, just as we were about to leave the house. On Friday night, UFM, who had been up since 5am, was delayed for four hours coming home from Brussels after a Thalys train caught fire. On Saturday, SCB was getting better, but I caught the stomach bug and spent the whole night throwing up and most of Sunday doing very little other than lying around the house groaning. Being sick and dehydrated messed with my milk supply, meaning I started the week with a very grumpy, hungry baby who eventually decided that the solution was to cluster feed ALL NIGHT just before my toughest day at work, then refused to eat anything or sleep at all all day with the nanny.

One week later, I feel as if we have finally come out of the tunnel and are starting to feel normal again.

The funny thing is, having made it through the whole painful episode has been kind of motivating. Having experienced what only just managing feels like, I'm now looking forward to doing things better this week. I'm actually happy to be spending time this weekend tidying the house. I'm going to shop for and cook some healthy food so that I can stop staggering in from work and filling up on the Christmas chocolates because they're the first thing I can get my hands on to eat. I might even find the time to plant the bulbs I bought back in November in the hope that it's not too late for them to flower this spring.

We'll see how much of that actually happens ...

1 comment:

  1. I also caught a stomach bug this week and spent some of the night throwing up. Fortunately it didn't seem to cut into my supply and I think the baby got a very light version of it (no vomiting for him) but I definitely had a day of lying around groaning. I put the change pad on the floor because it was too tiring to stay standing long enough to change him.

    Currently dealing with insomnia which seems so ridiculous now that the baby sleeps well. Sigh.

    Hope things go better for you this week!

    ReplyDelete