Friday, 5 January 2018

Life Update

I haven't felt particularly much like blogging recently. It's partly because although life is still very full and interesting to me, I'm not sure that much of what I do is of interest to anybody else, and partly because, for various reasons, I'm a bit wary of putting lots of personal things out there at the moment. (Even if I don't blog under my real name, I'm not fooling myself that anyone who knows a bit about me in real life might not figure out that this is me. So if you're reading this and we know each other - hi!) But then I read a few blogs I really like and felt inspired to make my own little contribution. So here is a quick round up of what we've been doing recently.

We went to the UK for Christmas. Travelling went pretty well on the way out but on the way back we had a long delay due to stormy weather and arrived back in Paris with a tired baby who was coming down with a tummy bug. It was definitely worth it, though, for a proper family Christmas with grandparents, uncle and auntie and SCB's slightly older cousin, who was unbelievably sweet with her. I also enjoyed all the UK traditions, like stockings and Christmas carols and sausages wrapped up in bacon, which we missed out on last year because we stayed in France. After that we headed out to Brittany for the new year and even more family time, this time with mamie and papy and the rest of UFM's relatives. We managed to stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve but I slipped into my pyjamas at around 11:30pm in order to be able to get straight into bed afterwards. (Luckily UFM's family are very laid back and this was completely socially acceptable!)

I've been back at work for a few days now and things are already feeling quite hectic. I have a lot of things that I want to accomplish before I go off on maternity leave, so I'm kind of putting pressure on myself, while at the same time coping with the third trimester of pregnancy, looking after a toddler, and various things that we need to do at home before baby number 2 is born. I'm telling myself it's only for a few weeks and hoping I can hang in there until it's officially time to drop it all and rest.

SCB should really be called SCT these days, standing for Super Cool/Cute/Crazy Toddler, depending on the moment (and sometimes all at once). Her language is coming on and she now has quite a few words, including a very definite MORE in English, chaussures in French (it's a bit of an obsession) and a good range of onomatopoeia, including "vroom" for cars and "wow-wow" for dogs. Other recent tricks include pointing to us and saying "mama" and "papa", then to herself and saying her own name, which melts my heart every time (and I think she knows it!) and, as of this evening, peeling her own clementines.

That's all for now ... but creating this post has given me a few ideas for other things to write about, so maybe it won't be quite so long until the next one.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you'll be posting more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in bed around 10:00pm on NYE. The baby was sleeping, so I wasn't about to wait up until midnight only for him to wake up shortly after wanting to eat.

    Good luck getting everything together for baby number 2!

    Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete