Tuesday, 23 August 2016

From the Mouths of Babes

Last weekend we celebrated my father-in-law's 70th birthday by having lunch with extended family and friends in a restaurant. The children were being served their steak haché and the waitress announced that she had one which was bien cuit for UFM's six-year-old nephew.

From the other side of the room, we heard his seven-year-old cousin comment, "Il mange sa viande bien cuite - oh là là!"

Because in France not only are small children asked how they would like their meat cooked, they know that saignant is best and that asking for anything more than à point just isn't done.

3 comments:

  1. Haha!

    I don't really eat red meat, but when I do, I like it cooked "bien cuit" (and usually smothered in cheese or sauce - hate the taste). That said, I only order it well done in France. Back home, I'd ask for medium or "à point". I find that French "bien cuit" resembles American "medium".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! Bien cuit is a legitimate choice but it doesn't come judgement-free...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bein cuit pour moi!! I am not a fan of bloody steak!

    ReplyDelete