Saturday, 17 March 2018

Why Are We Waiting ...

... this is so frustrating!

If I were in the UK, today would be my due date. Because in France le terme is counted as 41 weeks, here I still have another 7 days to go, but none of that really matters because I feel as if my body has seriously tricked me at the end of this pregnancy. With SCT, I had a lovely second trimester, then felt progressively more tired throughout the third. During the 39th week I had a few signs that her arrival might be imminent (with hindsight - I didn't recognise them all at the time). I was due to be induced at 39 weeks so I didn't stress too much about when she might arrive, then on the due date, we went to the hospital, my contractions started and she was born the same day.

This time around, I started to feel as if things might be happening just before 38 weeks too and was expecting Baby 2 to arrive around the same time as SCT. Then at 38 weeks I had an episode of really strong contractions and started to think we might need to go to the hospital. (This would have been very inconvenient, as SCT was ill at the time.) Then nothing.

Then I had a day when I felt full of energy and ready to go, just like the day before SCT was born.

Then nothing.

And the pattern has continued for 2 weeks now - a few signs and symptoms that just disappear as soon as I start to think it really could be now. It's driving me nuts, because I don't want to make too many plans, and also, I'm just tired enough to not really have the energy to do much, but not so tired that I'm not frustrated by just waiting for the time to pass.

At the beginning it was made worse by the fact that all the symptom spotting and planning was kind of necessary, as we had to make sure everything was in place for SCT if UFM and I needed to leave, but now my mum is here to look after her and we're all organised, so there's nothing to worry about.

On the plus side:
- it's been lovely having a bit of extra time to spend 1:1 with SCT on the days when she's been at home with me
- I've been able to make the most of my mum's visit. If the baby had decided to come straight after she arrived, I'd have spent 4 days at the hospital while she was back at home with SCT and UFM.
- We've had time to move SCT into her new bedroom, so everybody is now sleeping in the right place for when Baby 2 arrives and needs to be in our room.
- The midwife who did my ante-natal classes recommended making a little book for SCT explaining what will happen when the baby is born, to be read to her after I leave for the hospital. I'm really pleased I actually had time to do this, because leaving her behind is the thing I'm looking forward to the least about Baby 2's arrival.

Well, that and going through childbirth again, I suppose!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel for you! The last few days/weeks are just so... long!

    Well, you know the day will come :-) A spring baby, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son arrived at 41+2 (at 2:49am so not too far into the +2 day). It was such a long wait. At least it has given you some extra time with your mum and SCT. Hopefully Baby 2 will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your post. Waiting is the most painful thing specially in the case when we don't want to wait. Best vashikaran specialist in pune

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, a friend recently had her first baby and was telling me about a certain type of loneliness, and I forwarded her the post you wrote before about how that bond between mother and baby is unique. It struck me at the time, and I bookmarked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm touched that you remembered that! I hope your friend is OK.

      Delete
    2. She is doing great, thanks! I just wanted her to know that she was not alone in her experience. I think like lots of things in life, feelings ebb and flow, positive and negative. I think it helps a lot to know we're not alone.

      Delete